ARTICLE 21 – (1) The Board shall independently perform and use its duties and powers provided in this Law and the other laws under its own responsibility. No body, authority, institution or person can give orders or instructions, recommendations or suggestions on the matters which fall within the scope of its authority.
(2) The Board shall be comprised of nine members. Five members of the Board shall be elected by the Grand National Assembly of Turkey, two members by the Presidency and two members by the Council of Ministers.
(3) The following conditions shall be required for the membership of this Board:
a) Having knowledge and experience on the matters which fall within the scope of authority of the Board,
b) Having the qualifications stipulated in the subclauses (1), (4), (5), (6) and (7) of the subparagraph (a) under the first paragraph of Article 48 in the Law No. 657 dated 14/7/1965 on Civil Servants,
c) Not being the member of any political party,
ç) Having received at least four-year higher education at the level of bachelor degree,
d) Having served for at least ten years in total in public institutions and organizations, international organizations, nongovernmental organizations or professional organizations with public institution status or in private sector.
(4) Those who will be elected as the member of the Board shall be asked to give consent. Attention shall be attached to the pluralist representation of those who have knowledge and experience on the matters which fall within the scope of authority of the Board.
(5) The Grand National Assembly of Turkey shall follow the procedure below while electing members to the Board:
a) Twice the number of members to be designated in proportion to that of the political party groups shall be nominated for the election and the members of the Board shall be elected among these candidates, by the Plenary of the Grand National Assembly of Turkey, based on the number of members per political party group. However, no deliberation can be held or no decision can be taken in the political party groups regarding who will be voted for in the elections to be held in the Grand National Assembly of Turkey.
b) The members of the Board shall be elected within ten days following the designation and announcement of candidates. A split ticket shall be prepared as separate lists for the candidates nominated by the political party groups. The special place allocated for the names of the candidates shall be marked for voting. The votes casted more than the number of members to be elected to the Board from the quota of the political party groups set under the second paragraph shall be deemed invalid.
c) Candidates who receive the most votes in the election shall be selected based on the number of vacant positions provided that a quorum exists.
ç) In case of vacancy in the membership for any reason two months before the end of office of the members, new members shall be elected under the same procedure within one month following the date on which the position falls vacant or, if the Grand National Assembly of Turkey is at recess, following the end of the recess. In these elections, the number of the members designated from the quota of the political party groups in the first election and the current proportion of the political party groups shall be taken into account in the distribution of the vacant membership to the political party groups.
(6) In cases where the office of one of the members elected by the President or the Council of Ministers ends forty-five days earlier or the office ends for any reason, it shall be notified by the Authority to the Prime Minister’s Office within fifteen days, for its submittal to the President’s Office or the Council of Ministers. New members shall be elected one month before the end of office of current members. In cases where the position falls vacant before the end of office within the scope of these memberships, the elections shall be held within fifteen days following the notification.
(7) The Board shall elect the President and the Second President among its members. The President of the Board is also the president of the Authority.
(8) The term of office of the members of the Board is four years. The member whose term ends can be re-elected. The person who replaces a member whose term of office ends for any reason without fulfilling his/her office shall complete the rest of the term.
(9) The selected members shall swear the following oath before the First Presidency of the Court of Cassation: “I swear on my honour and dignity that I will perform my duty in accordance with the Constitution and the laws and within the understanding of full impartiality, honesty, fairness and justice.” The application for oath to the Court of Cassation is deemed among prompt actions.
(10) The members of the Board cannot assume any official or private duty apart from the performance of the official duties in the Board as long as it is not prescribed in a special law; nor can they manage an association, foundation, cooperative or similar entities, engage in trade, conduct independent business activities or serve as arbitrator or expert. However, the members of the Board can make scientific publications, give lectures and conferences in a way that will not hinder their fundamental duties and can be paid for the lectures and conferences within the scope of the copyrights arising from them.
(11) The investigations regarding the crimes which are allegedly committed by the members because of their duties shall be conducted in accordance with the Law No. 4483 dated 2/12/1999 on the Trial of State Employees and Other Civil Servants and the permission for these investigations shall be granted by the Prime Minister.
(12) The provisions of the Law No. 657 shall apply in the disciplinary investigation and prosecution to be conducted with respect to the members of the Board.
(13) The office of the members of the Board cannot be terminated without expiry of the mentioned term of office. The membership of the Board members shall be terminated upon the decision of the Board in cases where;
a) it is later understood that they do not fulfil the necessary requirements for election,
b) the verdict of conviction is finalized for the crimes they have committed because of their duties,
c) it is definitely confirmed through a medical board report that they cannot perform their duties,
ç) it is verified that they have not continued to serve successively for fifteen days without permission and excuse or for thirty days in total in one year,
d) it is verified that they have not attended the Board meetings three times in one month without permission or excuse or ten times in total in one year.
(14) Those who are elected as the members of the Board shall be discharged from their previous positions in the Board. Those who are elected as members while serving as state officials shall be appointed to an appropriate cadre by the competent authority within one month in cases where their term of office ends or they apply to the previous institution within thirty days provided that they do not lose the requirements to serve as state officials. The Board shall continue to make any kind of payment that these persons receive until they are appointed. For those who are elected as members while they have not served in a public institution and whose office ends as prescribed above, the Board shall continue to make any kind of payment they receive until they start to serve in any other duty or job and the payment that the Board will make to those whose membership ends as such cannot be provided for more than three months. The term of office of these persons in the Authority shall be deemed to have been served in the previous institutions or organizations in terms of the personal and other rights entitled to them.